The University of Northern Iowa Center for Multicultural Education advances inclusion and social justice through advocacy and the support of underrepresented and marginalized students, provide diversity education for all its community members, and promote a safe and welcoming environment that fosters academic success, a sense of belonging, and respect for all people and cultures.
Our mission is to develop engaged and culturally competent students into leaders who contribute to creating a more inclusive and just society.
Our vision is to live up to the standard where all people are created equal. We strive to implement actionable steps whereby cultural background is appreciated and outstanding character is paramount.
You belong here.
Come to the table! Bring what you have.
African Student Union
Asian Student Union
Black Student Union
Indigenous Student Organization
People are Important
- Provide a welcoming and supportive environment for underrepresented and marginalized students
- Advocate for the concerns of, and empower students from underrepresented and marginalized identities
- Create pathways for cultural interactions between students, faculty, staff and the community to promote awareness and encourage intercultural competency
- Facilitate opportunities through programming for students to explore social justice to work towards advocacy and activism
- Celebrate the diversity within UNI and our surrounding community
- Partner with students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members to advance diversity education and inclusion efforts through programmatic initiatives
- Enhance CME programming by using assessing and prioritizing student needs